The Mortimer villages history has been a fascinating, sometimes mystical, often bloody and turbulent affair. From ancient hill forts to the powerbase of the medieval Mortimer dynasty, from Roman legionaries to the industrial revolution every period of British history has made its mark on our area. From the Norman conquest through Barons’ rebellions, from the Wars of the Roses to the English Civil War the villages have seen the famous and the infamous come and go.
So this section of our website is dedicated to the Mortimer villages history. Articles will be added over time and suggestions and contributions are welcomed via our Contact page.
- A Bloody Heyday – the Mortimers and Wigmore Castle
- Castles – Wigmore Castle and other castles in our area
- Churches – the churches of the Mortimer Villages and other interesting churches our area
- Wigmore and the Nuclear Winter That Never Was… – all about our nearby nuclear fallout shelter
- Wigmore Church War Memorial – an article from the Leintwardine Historical Society
- Wigmore History Trail – mapping the historic buildings in and around Wigmore village